We had 19 student presentations this year and each one was of such high quality! It really was a challenge to pick three to receive an award for “Best Student Paper.” This year’s winners were:
Courtney MacInnis, University of Alberta
“Nosema ceranae: A sweet surprise? Investigating the viability and infectivity of N. ceranae spores”
Alexandria Payne, Texas A&M University
“The effects of honey bee (Apis mellifera) queen insemination volume on colony growth”
Samuel Ramsey, University of Maryland, College Park
“Varroa destructor feed primarily on honey bee fat body not hemolymph”
This year’s AAPA Student Scholarship Award winner is: Mehmet Ali Doke at The Penn State University.
We’re looking forward to seeing you on Thursday and Friday (Jan 12-13) at the American Bee Research Conference in Galveston, TX! Just a few meeting notes and reminders…
See the Full Program for 2017 ABRC. The 4th page includes a map of the convention area. The main meeting is at the Galveston Island Convention Center.
- Pre-registrants can get name tags, programs, etc at the NABC registration desk (1st floor foyer of the convention center) from 7am-6pm on Wed Jan 11. If you can’t get there by 6pm, name tags, programs and registration will be in front of the meeting room—Grand Ballroom C at the Convention Center—from 7:15 – 8:00am on Thursday ahead of the program.
- If you didn’t pre-register and still wish to attend ABRC, registration will only be on Thursday (Jan 12) morning from 7:15-8am at Grand Ballroom C. Do not go to the NABC registration desk if you did not pre-register as they will not be able to help you unless you want to pay the registration for the NABC.
- Presenters need to bring their talks on a flash drive for upload ahead of their session. Talks are scheduled for 12 minutes TOTAL, including time for questions. We have a lot of talks scheduled, so need to stick to the timing.
- Posters will be setup immediately after the last session on Thursday from 5pm-6:30pm. The posters will be displayed on cork board, so they can be tacked up using push pins. The poster session and evening social is at the San Luis Conference Center (see page 4 of the attached program).
- The Thursday evening poster session and social will be from 6:30-8pm at the Conferee Lounge in the San Luis Conference Center (see map on page 4 of program).
- The North American Beekeeping Conference has a mobile app and our agenda is included. To access the app, go to eventmobi.com/nabc2017 on your mobile device. Once the website is loaded, you can save it to your Home Screen.
We have a FULL two days of exciting talks and presentations planned for the American Bee Research Conference in Galveston, TX on January 12 and 13, 2017. We’re looking forward to a great meeting!
Check out the ABRC 2017 page for more information.
Detailed Presentation Schedule
As a reminder, PRE-REGISTRATION IS DUE DEC 16. If you want to attend the North American Beekeeping Conference prior to the start of ABRC (on Mon-Wed), then you MUST PRE-REGISTER. This is a change enforced by the beekeeping convention organizers and this is the only way that registering for ABRC also covers registration for the beekeeping conference.
Pre-registration and RSVP-ing for the AAPA catered lunch business meeting on Friday is also required by Dec 16. Those that do not RSVP for the lunch are welcome at the business meeting but will not be able to have the provided lunch. If you are receiving registration through the NABC, please RSVP for the lunch by e-mailing me at Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org.